I always knew that I would be a cloth diapering mama. Why? Because I’m an earth conscious consumer and because I was a cloth diapered baby. It just seems like the “normal” thing to do in my mind.
If you’re considering cloth diapers and not sure if they are for you, here are 5 Reasons why you should choose cloth diapers over disposables:
- Environmental impact. Of course this had to be number one on my list since according to the US National Park Service it takes 450 years for a disposable diaper to decompose in the landfill!
- Money savings. Our daughter is currently 18 months old and we have spent less than $200 on cloth diapers for her and she has been cloth diapered since she was a newborn. I know some families who spend that amount on disposables for one month so the cost savings aren’t too hard to compare. Add in $15 every few months for special cloth diaper soap and some electricity costs for running the washing machine but that still does not even compare to purchasing disposables.
- No chemical smells. I honestly cannot stand the smell of Huggies and Pampers. They have an odd chemical smell to them that just turns my stomach. Nothing beats the fresh smell of a cloth diaper after being dried outside on the clothesline!
- All natural. Cloth diapers come in a variety of fabrics these days but the most common are still 100% cotton. Disposable diapers, even if you buy more eco-friendly chlorine free brands, are filled with man made materials. Disposable diapers are full of chemicals that are right next to your babe’s sensitive skin 24 hours per day.
- Cuteness factor! Why diaper your babe’s bum in a boring disposable when you can have fun print diapers like these ones we sell in our Etsy shop!
Why do you cloth diaper? If you haven't tried them, what's stopping you?